The UTK Faculty Senate represents the faculty in the shared governance of the university.
Senators are elected from the various academic units; we work as a body and through committees to develop and recommend policies regarding the educational objectives of the campus.
We consider, advise, and recommend policies and procedures in other matters which concern the general welfare of the faculty:
- criteria for faculty appointment, dismissal, promotions, tenure, and retirement;
- criteria for the selection of the chief academic officer and other campus administrative officers;
- priorities for the University budget;
- priorities for the University development plan;
- changes in physical facilities.
We also consider, advise, and recommend on proposed policies regarding student life, rights, and responsibilities.
The Faculty Senate President serves on the University Faculty Council, who attend Board of Trustees meetings and advise the system president. The Senate is also represented in the Tennessee University Faculty Senates (TUFS), a statewide body representing faculty across the state.
Minutes from 2017-2018 meetings are posted under archives or by clicking here.
2018 Faculty Senate Retreat
The Annual Faculty Senate Retreat for the 2018-2019 academic year will be held on Friday, August 24, 2017, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., in Room 413ABC, UT Conference Center Building, 600 Henley Street. Please RSVP for the retreat here. The retreat agenda is here.